Thursday, July 3, 2008

WANTED







I never got through the Wanted comic series. Something about having a protagonist who brags about raping celebrities and getting away with it kept me from getting into it. So, I wasn't ecstatic when I heard a film adaptation was in the works. Of course, I should have known Hollywood wouldn't put the rape and the random sniping of innocent people in the film, or use the "super-villain" angle at all, for that matter. While the movie starts out with a pretty faithful interpretation of "hero" Wesley's mundane existence, once the movie kicks into high gear it's a guild of assassin's, not super-powered villains, who recruit Wesley and give him something to live for. And boy does this flick deliver on the high octane action (leave all disbelief at the door if you want to fully enjoy this one). This has got to be the most visually entertaining action flick since the Matrix trilogy ended. I loved the cast, and while sometimes the tone seemed to veer too far into humorous territory, overall it sucked me into the world and kept me wide-eyed and jaw-dropped.


4/5 stars

No comments: