Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Prom Night...



I'm gonna diverge a little from the pop culture ramblings to respond to a friend's post about high school prom. His argument (or rant) is that it's just a big nonsensical exercise. I find it hard to disagree. For every reason you give me that prom is a good thing, I can probably give you three reasons why it's not.
Of course, I'm a guy. Guy's aren't supposed to like prom. Even the ones who do, only like it because of what happens AFTER prom. They get to ride around in a limo, get wasted, and try to force themselves onto their dates. And they probably won't have to try very hard either (especially with that little pill they've got in their jacket pocket).
No, prom is all about the ladies. And from a girl's perspective, I guess I can see the appeal. It's like a precursor to the eventual wedding day. They get to have their hair done, play dress up with all their friends, cake six pounds of make-up on their face, and pose for a bunch of pictures with their glassy-eyed boyfriends. Then later on in the evening it becomes what their wedding night is SUPPOSED to be. After holding out for seventeen years and letting that jackpot rise, they finally give up their purity, not in a honeymoon suite, but a cheap motel room that stinks of vodka and weed.
Ah, young love. Quick, someone call Planned Parenthood, ASAP!
Oh, who am I kidding. No girls wait for prom night anymore.

No comments: